Thursday, May 31, 2007

Breastfeeding

I can't believe it, I have been breastfeeding my baby girl exclusively for almost 4 months now! I am so happy to have made it this far. Breastfeeding really isn't as easy as one would think. It's not something you or the baby for that matter just automatically knows how to do, there is a lot of work that goes into it. I am so thankful that I took a class before she was born, it was very helpful. I have made it through very sore nipples in the beginning (thank goodness for Lansinoh lanolin), engorgement when my milk came in (thank goodness I have a good eater and a good pump), 3 major growth spurts (the worst being the 3 month), and Kaylin trying to be a lazy latcher for a while (not sure what was up with that). I have to admit too that I am just too lazy to give her a bottle, it's just so much easier to breastfeed her now that we have established a good system and both know what we are doing. I don't have to mix formula or heat anything it's always ready to go (makes those middle of the night feeds a lot easier...well when she gets up for a feed) and her diapers really don't smell...what's not to love about this. I really enjoy the bonding time that it affords me and her too. I am in no way saying that a woman must breastfeed her child in order to bond with them or that they must breastfeed their child because that's what they should do but I do feel that it is the best thing for your child. I also know that sometimes there are circumstances that won't allow a woman to breastfeed as well. I really wish that society hadn't made the breast such a sex symbol though, I would love to be able to nurse in public without feeling like I was going to offend someone. I try to avoid nursing in public at all costs because I am just so nervous about doing that, really wish I wasn't though. As time goes on though I am getting more comfortable with it, partly because I have gotten pretty good about hiding things now. I plan on nursing her until she is a year old (Pediatrician recommended). Of course I won't be nursing exclusively by that point we will actually start her on baby food/solids at 6 months..sooner if she shows signs of wanting to start solids before that but I don't plan on weaning her until she is a year or eating a good 3 meals a day.

2 comments:

Brenda said...

Congrats!! That is awesome!! I BF exclusively for 5 weeks. I loved it....I love the bond that I have with Kyle. But unfortunately, it was just too stressful for me. I couldn't handle being the only one that could feed him round the clock. I wasn't getting much sleep, I was exhausted, plus I had PPD and you aren't supposed to BF while on the meds that I'm taking.

I'm so proud of you that you are sticking with it!

Anonymous said...

I LOVED BFing!! I actually have cried on more than one occasion because I couldnt BF Abby. ANd, you are right, it is not automatic. I had to fight hard to BF Joey in the beginning and lmost gave up a couple of times but I just wanted to try for "one more time". WE actually had to stop in the hospital because the milk was making her jaundice worse, then I was so engorged it wasnt funny (I wont even tell you how many bra sizes I went up and you knkow I was not exactly small to begin with) I had to stop at about a month becuase I had surgery and was unconscious. THey couldnt pump me and I almost stoppped making milk in the couple of days I was unconscious!! It was horrible at times but once we go past the few obsticles, it was great!! I nursed for 11 months when Joey started drinking whole milk and I started "taking drugs" that could be passed on! COngrats on figuring it out and sticking with it!!